Thursday, January 24, 2008

And So My Fairing MOdyssey Continues...

Okay. Sometime ago I decided I needed to increase the overall frontal visibility of the KLR after I got hit by an on coming Tonka truck that drove into my lane. So this is what I came up with:




Naturally with all the offroad nav stuff that I was using the KLR for at the time (and still do) I figured, "hey, I can add instruments and such behind the fairing too!" Which ended up looking like this:



And then turned into some'in like this:



hen at some point, I decided I needed (err, uh... wanted) an additional lamp. So guess what?





Shortly after, I went thru the process of designing and making a dash as well.

I made it out of Lexan Polycarbonate.








I feel that this stuff is excellent to work with.


So, things have been working great.

People see me a little better.

The proto front-subframe is where I want it and is ready for the next step in its evolution.

The PelicanCase map-scroller works,

The aux lamp is bright,

And the dash is just hunky dory, I tell ya.

Life is good.


The KLR is good.


And! The KLR I must say is a sight!





Notice somethin'?


They are all ass shots or from the side.

I realized today that I have actually made the KLR650A Uglier.

yes, appearantly it is indeed possible.


To me it resembles one of those sentinel carpenter ants that wreak havoc in those cheezy sci-fi flics from the 70s and 80s

To sum it up, I am ashamed to be ashamed of the appearence of this wonderful machine.

So I have now decided to turn the next chapter in this story:

The Journey to Face-Lift Island.

I figure at this point, there is nothing to lose and only every opportunity to let go in creativity.

Notice how the fairing has been tilted forward?

This was a side effect of making room for Navigation equipment. Hey, it works, but gives the the Ride a funny and "off" look. puzzled

The design objectives for Project Face-Lift are:

1. Unbridled creativity
2. Use as much of the existing lines of the the KLR stock fairing
3. Improve lighting desires while I'm at it
4. Really have fun


so here's what I've got cookin' so far!!

Old......................New



The original effort of logging this project is hosted on KLRWorld.com forums, probably the most well done KLR specific public forums currently on-line, really professional and on topic. Please Check out the discussion here!

No comments: