Sunday, June 14, 2009

CGDSR- Course Prep Report 1

Dave Z. and I rode about 90 miles of the first portion of the route today. We did not do it in its entirety nor did we take it on aggressively. Today's objective was to test out the flow of the course for evaluation.

...the day's conclusion is: it needs to be shortened.

The idea is to break up the ride into two 100mile (or so) days. It isn't only riding that has to be done here. The player will have to navigate with a mounted GPS, consult a map and GC book, and operate a roll chart holder. And then there is the whole business of the treasure hunting-the whole excuse to gallivant on our motos in the first place.

This is a GeoCache hunt after all.

All of this for anyone -experienced or not- adds up to a bit of time.
I'm fairly confident after our blast of a time today that we will put together a game that will work and will be oodles of fun!


From lic plate gone


Speaking of fun, Dave had some impressive hero naps (no camera!!) and I was fortunate enough to have bounced off of some very large boulders on one of the more techy climbs. Though I've busted my little tool tube fairing thing, it's kinda neat when these sort of things happen. It's like product testing. One day when I have the ability to do legit fabrication projects, I'll know what designs work and don't...and that's a beautiful thing.


From lic plate gone


At the end of the ride, once back to camp I immediately collapsed in a chair.
I was beat down!
I stayed well hydrated, maintained a reasonable flow of calories and the weather was breezy and cool! But still slumped into that cozy chair was I. My feet found their way up onto the rear bumper of the FJ62. Dave and I rode for 7 hours at a simulated average pace. 7 hours can be a long time on a bike after partying and drinking the entire night before with close (and crazy) friends. At least I was not hung over. Thank goodness not.


From lic plate gone



After a brief siesta, I gathered a few things, stuffed them in the tank panniers and bag, and leisurely headed into town to meet with my best mate. After picking up my laptop from the babysitters, I headed east for my intended rendezvous and somewhere along the way my license plate fell off!

CRAP!

Those are expensive. Dang. If I'm lucky, perhaps I'll find it tomorrow on the road or some good samaritan will turn it into the MVD.


From lic plate gone


This evening and the rest of this week is all about map production and the rerouting process. Dave and I get to scheme on Tuesday over some beer and Wednesday attend the Coconino Trail Riders meeting (personally, this will be my first one).

My knees are achy and I can feel my pelvis injury...I think I'll stay off the bike tomorrow, you know, take a break.

No comments: