Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Planning my 2010 TransAsia Moto Journey

Dave McMillian and Erika Tunik of Mototrekker.com have shared there multi-year journey on Horizons Unlimited (HUBB). The goal: To ride from Paris, France to Sydney, Australia through Asia on a Honda TransAlp 600 motorcycle.

Their experiences of Pakistan contradict every fear-based opinion I have gathered here at home. Though reasonable suspicions they may be, they are founded on the current events and happenings on a whole other side of that country...which I will ultimately have to cross to gain entry into Iran.
Their Blog on the HUBB is highly recommended.
























After this more recent bout of blog surfing, I have decided to all but cancel any aspirations to travel through China; it likely will be too expensive and far too limited. The new route in mind will take me through Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan and onto the Karakoram Highway of northeast Pakistan.



I sit here hudled in a Coleman folding chair on what feels to be a frigid early winter afternoon in Flastaff AZ within Sahrfroggy's apartment balcony, writing and planning my journey across the Asian Continent to visit her in Europe. The typical northern skies of the southwest are strafed by fast moving clouds, providing the backdrop for the wind embraced needles of the swaying ponderosas...my foreground view strewn with modern rooftops and car covered parking spaces.
As I skim the photos of the villages and cultures of the far reaches of the world, gifted by the world travellers who have come before me, this arena I currently find myself in feels more and more foreign as I imagine and dream a little bit further each and every day.

I am left wondering what could possibly await.




No comments: